Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This light....

It's funny (funny ironic not funny haha) that I ended my last blog talking about Micheal J. Fox. The reason I love him so much is my grandma.
No... she didn't insist I watch the Back to the Future trilogy over and over again (although I did), she wasn't a die hard fan of Family Ties and I'm pretty sure she didn't care for Spin City. The reason she was so fond of the young man was because he was an advocate for Parkinson's Disease.
He was diagnosed with the disease himself 20 years ago and has since gathered millions of dollars towards research and written many charming and witty books on the subject in effort to raise awareness. Books I've read and enjoyed.
My grandmother had Parkinson's for the last 10 years. Lately she began to slip and yesterday, she died.
We had gotten a phone call a couple months back from her nursing home to warn us that they believed she was at the end of life. We've had this time to prepare. I'm very thankful for that. I got to be with her the day she died as well. Being able to say a proper goodbye was truly an answered prayer. It's like she waited for us. Thanks grandma.
People tell me I'm like her. That makes me proud. The friend's my mom grew up with are always telling me that. She never got mad. check. She was always DOING something and rarely sat down. check. She loved jazz. check. She was independent. check.
These are things that don't really explain her though. She loved, she really loved and I loved her. But hooooww she loved is where I can really identify with her. She wasn't much of a cuddler. You may be laughing because well... CHECK. My grandma didn't love me through a hug although I had received them; but, she showed me love. She always saw where I was coming from in my prepubescent tantrums and calmed me down with soothing words. She encouraged me to pursue my dreams and no one elses (she was a military nurse in WWII even though her family protested, cool... I know). She loved me by having a plate of mashed potatoes and bacon ready each time I walked in her house. Weird combibation, I know (and yes I did have a chubby stage) Those were my favorite foods as a child and she knew that. To this day I still love the odd combo.

RIP Joan Erffmeyer
I love you. I love you. I love you.
I'll miss you.

With old life, comes new.
Jimmy Morrison, my seregate brother, is a father for the first time tonight. Congrats on introducing a baby in the world Jimbo. Be good to it. Illustrate that life is really, truely beautiful.

This week has been really wonderful for reminding me that. It's been a nostalgic one.

Much needed time with family. Like my adorable goddaughter, Claire.
Much needed time with friends. They see you through everything all the while thinking the very best of you. I miss Patty; it's good to give her a hug.
Much needed time with those odd, quirky, untitled relationships that kind of work as friends or family. Like the funniest, most interesting, crazy family I know: the Lawless' and their Irish Wolfhound :D. Madagan.

I saw this light... and it was beautiful

1 comment:

  1. aw liz i'm really sorry to have heard about your grandma. :( I'll be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete